How To Protect Your Home From Accidents

High-value home with brick walls, long drive and large garden.

Your home is where you should feel most safe and secure, but accidents can sadly happen at any time. Whether it’s a fire, a flood, or a slip, accidents can cause damage to your property and even to harm you and your family. For mid to high-value homes – especially those with multiple buildings such as swimming pools and workshops – these accidents can often be very expensive to fix.

Fortunately, there are preventative measures you can take to keep those accidents to a minimum. Our high-value home insurance experts are on hand to share their tips for keeping your home safe.

Install Smoke Alarms And Carbon Monoxide Detectors

If you’re wondering how to secure your home, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are essential.

Smoke alarms will alert you to a fire, giving you and your family time to evacuate. Carbon monoxide detectors meanwhile can detect the presence of carbon monoxide – a dangerous gas that can cause illness or even death. Install these devices in every room of your home and test them regularly to ensure they’re working properly.

Keep Your Home Well-Maintained

Another key piece of advice for how to protect your home is to ensure it’s well-maintained. Repair any leaks, cracks, or other damage as soon as possible. This includes regularly checking appliances to make sure they’re working properly. If you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove, you should have this inspected and cleaned to reduce the risk of fire damage.

Keep Your Home Clutter-Free

A cluttered home can be hazardous. Objects on the floor or on surfaces can create tripping hazards, while piles of clutter can make escaping in an emergency difficult. Our advice for how to protect your home from accidents is to ensure it’s kept tidy and clutter-free.

Take Out A Comprehensive High-Value Home Insurance Policy

Despite your best efforts, some accidents in your home will be unavoidable. With that in mind, it’s important to ensure you have a comprehensive home insurance policy that will cover you if you temporarily need to live elsewhere or have your home rebuilt.

Many high-value homes in the UK are underinsured, but at Alan & Thomas we specialise in providing home insurance for high-value properties. A high-value house insurance policy with us can include:

  • accidental damage cover, including cover for garages, conservatories, sheds, out-buildings, and swimming pools
  • alternative accommodation cover
  • trace and access cover
  • tree damage prevent measures
  • and protection for listed or thatched buildings

We also offer high-value contents insurance, giving you the peace of mind that you’re protected should the worst happen. This includes:

  • accidental damage cover for furniture
  • cover for valuables, such as jewellery, watches, and cameras
  • fine art cover
  • replacement locks if keys are lost
  • fridge and freezer contents coverage
  • cover for students’ and boarders’ possessions
  • contents valuation service

If you’re looking for high-value home insurance for your own home, why not get in touch? At Alan & Thomas, we’re experienced in providing policies to suit many types of high-value property and contents. To speak with our team, call us on 01202 754900 or email