A Guide To Insurance For Pubs

Female bartender pulls a pint behind the bar of a busy pub.

As with any business, when running a pub or restaurant, you need to know that you’re protected against the unexpected. In addition, however, running or owning pubs comes with its own set of unique challenges that other businesses may not have. That’s why getting the right hospitality insurance for your business is vital.

In this blog, we’ll explore the type of commercial insurance you should consider when running or owning a pub and explain why it is important.

Have further questions? Why not speak to one of our chartered insurance brokers to get the answers you need?

Public Liability

As with any business, public liability insurance for pubs is highly recommended. Public liability insurance covers you in the event that a member of the public is injured or otherwise hurt while on your premises. When it comes to public liability insurance for pubs, this usually refers to any unexpected effects of your food and drink, or perhaps if someone were to slip on a wet floor. Your public liability policy would generally cover you for a certain amount of damages, legal costs, and compensation.

Employer’s Liability

Similar to public liability, employer’s liability insurance for pubs protects you in the event that one of your team members is hurt while at work. The difference between employer’s liability and public liability, however, is that employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement for any business that has staff members. That includes temporary part-time, temporary team members, and even contractors.

If you aren’t covered with this type of insurance, you could be fined up to £2,500 per day you go without it!

Luckily, most pub insurance brokers will be aware of this and will ensure you have the correct type of cover, and that you’re never unprotected.

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers you in the event that there is damage to the structure of the building your business resides in. Whether you’ll need this type of commercial insurance in your cover depends on whether you rent or own the building your pub is in.

Typically, it is the responsibility of the landlord or freeholder to insure premises, but it is always worth checking your agreement with your landlord if you rent the building.  

Stock & Contents

The inverse of buildings insurance – which protects the exterior and structure of your premises – is contents insurance. This type of cover protects the contents and equipment inside your pub, from fridges and freezers down to cleaning equipment and tables and chairs.

Stock insurance, similarly, protects your stock. Both of these types of covers protect you in the event the items become damaged, lost, or stolen.

Loss of Licence

For businesses like pubs, the loss of an alcohol license could spell the end of trading completely. If losing your licence was not your fault, loss of licence insurance can cover some of your lost earnings from alcohol sales, or lost business value.

Keep in mind, however, that if the loss of your licence is due to misconduct on the business’ part, is an act of parliament, or is the result of planning permissions, this type of commercial pub insurance likely won’t cover you.

Bespoke Insurance for Pubs

To make sure your pub is protected against all eventualities, it’s important to get the right commercial pub insurance. At Alan & Thomas, we’re experts in commercial and hospitality insurance and have helped hundreds of businesses get the right cover at the right price.

To get a quote for your hospitality insurance, get in touch. Alternatively, if you’d like to speak to our team, contact your local branch.