Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Tel: 01202 754900

Flood & Storm Advice

The Met Office has today issued an amber "be prepared" weather warning for the whole of the UK, with Southern England and South Wales expected to be particularly badly hit. Rain hitting already saturated ground will bring the risk of some flooding so we have put together some useful hints and tips to prevent flooding and storm damage to your home or business.

If you feel the weather is getting bad with the potential to flood, ensure you:

  • Have emergency items to hand such as a torch, a camera, batteries, warm clothing and blankets, boots, gloves, first aid kit, prescribed medication, refuse sacks, food, water and your insurance claims helpline number, which can be found in your policy booklet.
  • Secure any unsecured items, like ladders in gardens, that can cause damage in high winds
  • Have emergency contact numbers for your local authority and utility companies to hand in a safe waterproof place;
  • Consider where family and pets could go in an emergency and how easy it would be to move personal items (especially sentimental possessions which cannot be replaced) above the water level (i.e. to an upper floor); and
  • Listen out for bad weather warnings on local radio, TV, Twitter and other appropriate internet sites such as the Met Office.

What to do if flood strikes


  • Call your insurance broker as soon as you are able to. Here at Alan & Thomas, our in-house claims team should be able to advise you the best course of action, depending on the severity of the damage. It's always a good idea if you can to make a record of any damaged items using a camera.


  • Throw anything away - if it is necessary to dispose of items ensure they are catalogued using a camera.
  • Use electricity or gas until given the all clear by a qualified engineer.
  • Use your own tradesmen for a quick fix. Our team will advise you on the best course of action regarding repairs, depending on the extent of damage it may take weeks and sometimes months to dry out the property ready for repair.

What happens when I make a claim?

We will give you advice on how best to proceed. If the damage is large scale then we'll discuss with your insurer the most appropriate way to manage your claim and advise you on the best course of action.

What if I can't stay in my house / premises due to the severity of the damage?

We will deal with your insurer on your behalf to ensure they cover the reasonable cost of alternative accommodation, whether this is a short hotel stay or the rental of another property. It is worth noting that some policies have limits to the amount that can be refunded. Alternatively, some insurers may cover an inconvenience allowance if staying with friends or family. Also, depending on individual circumstances, your insurer may also be able to assist you with a reasonable amount for the cost of food.